The RAD7 is a sophisticated measuring instrument widely used in laboratories and research work around the globe, by radon testers, mitigators and home inspectors, in mines and deserts, on the ocean and up volcanoes, at extremes of temperature.
The RAD7 is also the simplest computer-driven electronic detector to use, with pre-programmed set-ups for common tasks. It's built to withstand everyday use in the field. A rugged, handsome case encloses the detector, which is self-contained and self-sufficient. The RAD7 comes complete, with a built-in air pump, rechargeable batteries, and a wireless infrared printer. The printer can be left in your office or your car, when desired, and the detector will collect data and store it for later printing or downloading to a PC.
The RAD7 is a Sniffer that uses the 3-minute alpha decay of a radon daughter, without interference from other radiations, and the instantaneous alpha decay of a thoron daughter. The RAD7 sniffs out entry points and radon gushers and recovers in minutes from high radon exposures. The RAD7 is also a Continuous Monitor that measures the EPA action level of 4 pCi/L, with 10% standard deviation, in one hour. At the end of each run, the detector prints out a complete report.
Precision and Performance
- Fastest response and recovery times of any electronic monitor/sniffer on the market.
- Measures EPA action level of 4 pCi/L in just one hour.
- Recovers from radon highs in minutes - not hours.
- Spectrum printout verifies correct operation of instrument in field.
Convenience and Ease of Use
- All-in-one complete, compact, portable unit in handsome rugged carrying case.
- Microcomputer directs you, step by step, so you can do what you want to do.
- Programmed set-ups for often-used tests.
- Audible radon and thoron counts lets you hear the hot spots.
Security and Flexibility
- Tamper-proof key-lock command secures your RAD7 and assures uninterrupted testing.
- Easily portable: The RAD7 weighs just 11 pounds (5 kg).
- Displays, prints, and downloads radon data in your choice of units.
- Immunity to build-up of 210pb.
Expandability and Value
- Includes wireless printer and infra-red data link for on-the-spot printouts.
- Available with a wide range of accessories for measuring radon in water and below ground.
- Versatile connectivity with an RS-232 port and USB compatibility adaptor
- Includes CAPTURE software for data retrieval and analysis. Full Macintosh and Windows compatibility.
- Includes rechargeable batteries and extensive documentation.
Operating the RAD7
The RAD7 is remarkably easy to use. It's ready to operate from the moment you turn it on. The first thing you will see is the Setup Review, which displays the current settings. This allows you to check that your machine is set up the way you want it for your intended use.
Now you and your RAD7 are ready to go to work. The machine is preset for a 1- or 2-day test... or you can preset for your particular job that day. When you arrive on site, just push the buttons and the test runs automatically.
A RAD7 exclusive feature is "Auto" mode. This starts a test in Sniff mode for quick response, a base-line reading. After 3 hours it automatically switches to "Normal" mode for the remainder of the test, assuring statistical precision.
You can leave your RAD7 for a 24-hour, 48-hour or any-hour test, knowing that the measurements will be correct, thanks to the "Test Lock" command, which locks the machine until you return. The display shows "DURRIDGE RAD7", the test continues, and no amount of tampering - intentional or unintentional - can influence it.
RAD7 Technical Specifications
Modes of Operation
• Continuous Radon Gas Monitor
• Long-term/Short-term screener
• Sniffer, with small tube "snout" to search for radon and thoron entry points.
• GRAB mode protocols for radon in air and water.
Measures radon in air, water, and soil (with optional RAD H20, RAD AQUA, and Soil Probe accessories).
• Monitor: 0.5 counts/min/pCi/L
• Sniffer: 0.25 counts/min/pCi/L
0.1 → 20,000 pCi/L (4 → 750,000 Bq/m3)
1,000 radon concentrations with associated data.
Principle of Operation
Electrostatic collection of alpha-emitters with spectral analysis. Passivated Ion-implanted Planar Silicon detector.
Built-In Air Pump
Nominal 1 liter/minute flow rate. Inlet and outlet air filter connectors.
High-precision alpha-energy spectrum identifies isotopes in radon and thoron decay chains. Shows proper operation of RAD7 and enables superior RAD7 functionality.
Low Radon Performance
In Continuous Monitor mode, the RAD7 measures the EPA action level of 4 pCi/L in 60 minutes, with a standard deviation of 10%. Since the RAD7 has virtually no background it has a much lower detection threshold than other electronic detectors, and can easily measure concentations below 0.1 pCi/L.
Recovers from high radon exposure with a 3.05 minute half-life, to less than 10% of peak value in 12 minutes; to less than 1% of peak value in less than 30 minutes. Drops from 20,000 to 1 pCi/L in one hour..
The "Test Lock" command is programmed into the RAD7 to secure it against tampering.
This setting starts a test run in SNIFF mode, then switches to Normal mode after the first 3 hours. No need to wait for equilibrium. This provides quick response, followed by statistical precision.
2 line x 16 character, alpha-numeric display.
Audible radon count indicates presence and intensity of radon and thoron. May be turned on or off.
AC or battery powered - 5 AH 6V batteries. Automatic charge when plugged in and switched on. Continuous battery operation: 24 hours in SNIFF mode; 72 hours in Monitor mode.
Chamjin NewHandy 700 Wireless Infrared Printer
RS-232 port for computer or modem hookup. A USB adaptor is included for full compatibility.
Temperature: 30° - 105°F (0° - 40° C). Humidity: 0% - 100%, non-condensing.
11 pounds (5 kg)
9.5" x 7.5" x 10.5" (24 cm x 19 cm x 27 cm)
High density polyethylene
RAD7 electronic radon detector
Alpha Energy Spectrum